Nam June Paik

Electronic Superhighway: Continental U.S., Alaska, Hawaii 1995-96. It is exhibited at the Smithsonian American Art Museum

Nam June Paik is a Korean artist credited as the first “video artist.” He is considered a global artist, he has impacted the use of video in artwork in Europe and through Asia. Paik participated in the “Neo-Dada art movement, known as Fluxus, which was inspired by the composer John Cage and his use of everyday sounds and noises in his music.” Most of Paik’s work is centered around cultural criticism, namely his piece Electronic Superhighway. Nam June Paik passed away at his Miami home at 7:00pm on Sunday, January 29th, 2006.

I really like Paik’s work. I have been fortunate enough to see Electronic Superhighway in Washington DC numerous times. The work is gigantic and features hundreds of video screeens showing images of how he would describe each state. His work comments on our obsession with moving images and our image overload. I think it is very interesting how he incorporates many cultural elements from Korea in his work as well.

The comment form is closed.